Dental injuries, accidents and emergencies are unpredictable, you never know when they may occur. You can, however, do your best to be prepared by knowing what to do and which reliable emergency dentist you can visit. At Everton Park Dental, we are a family dental practice that also offers emergency dental services to existing and new patients. Here are our top tips for dealing with a dental emergency.
What To Do When You Experience A Dental Emergency
If you are experiencing persistent pain or discomfort in your teeth, gums or jaw, you have a dental emergency on your hands. These situations require urgent dental care, and taking action quickly is key. Do not dismiss your symptoms as they may worsen and cause severe damage the longer you leave them. Instead, take the following actions:
1. Keep Calm
We understand that being relaxed during a crisis is not realistic but it is important that you try not to panic too much. Panic and heightened stress levels will not only make the experience even more unpleasant for you but can also impact your decision-making abilities which are vital in an emergency. So if you’re in shock or feeling panicked, take a few deep breaths or allow a moment to soothe yourself. Of course, this shouldn’t take up too much time.
2. Take A Quick Look At The Damage
If possible, have a look in a mirror or your phone camera at the damaged or affected area of your mouth. It may help to have another person take a look for you. Take note of what you see and any visible symptoms that are causing you pain or discomfort such as bumps, swelling, changes to your skin, tooth shape, tooth colour, broken fillings, signs of infection or anything else that does not look normal.
If you have broken or knocked out a tooth (or restoration), retrieve all the pieces so that you can bring them to the emergency dentist in Everton Park.
3. Ask Someone Close to You For Help If Needed
If you are not able to get to a dentist by yourself or are having trouble speaking due to your condition, ask somebody close to you for help. If you need to book a taxi or rideshare service to safely get to a dentist, do so.
4. Get To An Emergency Dental Clinic ASAP
The sooner you can see a dentist, the better your chances are of getting the right treatment and making a full recovery. Even knocked-out teeth have a good chance of being re-inserted in place if you see a dentist in time. Do not delay seeing the dentist.
How to get an emergency dental appointment
Emergency dental appointments are typically booked on the same day, the sooner the better. To book an emergency appointment, take the following quick measures:
- Confirm that the clinic is open and offers emergency dental service: All dental emergencies require quick action, so it’s definitely best to choose an emergency dentist in Everton Park who is close to you rather than waste time commuting. Make sure the dentist is open, nearby and can accommodate a same-day appointment by giving them a call first. Alternatively, you can do a check on their website.
- By phone: Book a same-day appointment over the phone: Contact an emergency dentist in Everton Park ASAP and let reception know about your emergency dental situation. They will be able to confirm if they can help you and possibly provide you with advice on how to mitigate your pain or symptoms until you see a dentist. The reception will also be able to let you know if your situation requires visiting a hospital instead.
- In-Person: Go straight to the dental practice: Of course, in some situations, you may not be able to call ahead of time or may need to see someone immediately. In this case, go straight to the dental practice and let reception know about your dental emergency.
- Teledentistry: Book a same-day phone appointment: Depending on your circumstances and the type of dental emergency you are experiencing, a same-day phone appointment may be available for you. This is not common for emergencies as a dentist will usually need to see a patient in person to examine their physical symptoms and provide treatment.
Your Local Emergency Dentist in Everton Park
At Everton Park Dental, we are always available to help our patients with dental emergencies. Our emergency dental clinic is open six days a week and has late-night bookings upon request. If you’re experiencing a dental emergency, or are looking for a local dentist you can count on in your times of need, you can reach us on (07) 3355 7936 or contact us online.